This was to prevent the glum faces being caught on camera in Downing Street. Instead those being summoned to No.10 would already know what was in store for them. The broad grins of some entering Number 10 gave the game away.
Some of the early predictions have been proved correct. However one unexpected move has been Minister for health Andrew Lansley. As much of the NHS reform, which has been decimating the Health service was his baby it was widely believed that he would stay in post. He has not. Lansley has been demoted to role of Leader of the House of Commons. The new role may sound as high flying but it is not.
Perhaps the fact that Chancellor Osborne was booed at the Paralymoics played a part. Probably not though. Lansley has been replaced by Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt. Earlier in 2012 there were calls for Hunt to be sacked following his political performance but it seems that instead he has been promoted, Only in the Tory Party does poor performance equate to promotion. A good job none of these people work in the Private Sector that they so promote.
Justice Minister Ken Clarke has been replaced by the more right wing Chris Grayling. Tory Party co-chair Baroness Warsi and Cheryll Gillan are beling replaced in a re shuffle which has reduced the amount of women in Cabinet.
One commentator compared this re shuffle to something like "rearranging the deckchairs on a cruise liner" An excellent comparison.
It is expected that the Liberal Democrats who hold Cabinet posts will stay in their current roles. David Laws who resigned could be reinstated however following an expenses scandal should he simply be reappointed or face an election?
The top and the bottom of the re shuffle is that the policy is not changing. There will no change of direction. The Tory part of the Coalition may try to push through its more unpopular measures. Cabinet Ministers will still be overpaid for too many holidays and poor performance. A fine example for the rest of us, we do not think.
What these shuffles make you relaise is that none of our politicans have any specialist skills. In effect they are all "Jacks of all trades and masters of none"
Full Cabinet shuffle details will be added when available.
- Justine Greening to be replaced as Transport Minister. According to Mayor Boris this means that a third runway at Heathrow is on the cards
- Patrick McLoughlin replaces Greening
- Grant Shapps leaves Housing to be a Minister without Portfolio.
- Ken Clarke suffers the same Minister without portfolio fate, only he has a vaguely named economic brief.
- Maria Miller, MP for Basingstoke and Minister for the Disabled, replaces Jeremy Hunt as Culture, Media and Sport Secretary. She is also appointed Minister for Women and Equalities.
- Nick Clegg's ally David Laws, who resigned from government two years ago following expenses fiddling allegations will return to Government, replacing Sarah Teather as Education Minister. Surely he should face an election?
- Baroness Warsi becone Faith and Charities Minister. Surely a step down for her?
- Theresa Villiers is the new Northern Ireland Secretary, promoted from Transport Minister. She takes over from Owen Paterson, who replaces Caroline Spelman as the new Environment Secretary.
- Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan is leaving the Government. She is replaced by Clwyd West MP and Welsh Office Minister, David Jones.
One source of amusement for us was Home Secretary Theresa May who wil remain in post. She said the reshuffle was about the Pary "looking to the future". Perhaps she meant the next election?
According to SkyNews she went on, "It's about building on our reforms, focusing on delivery and bringing forward the next generation. In further announcements and appointments that the Government will be making, you will see our plans to make the economy competitive and to make Britain a country for people who work hard and want to get on."
We can probably guess some of what that means but we shall see.
It is a great joke though when you consider the failings of Theresa May and the mess she has made of so many things under her control.