None of these protests achieve a purpose in real terms. Yes they cause chaos and hit Westerners but they change nothing. The film is sadly still out there. How long the violence will continue is unclear. In the end they will either fizzle out or become something more sinister.
Fresh protests are underway in the Lebanon, the Philipinnes and Pakistan. The death toll from the protests has risen. At least 12 people have died as a result of these protests. As crowds in Pakistan made their way to the US embassy to protest they wreaked havoc. Buildings and vehicles have been destroyed by protesters in many regions.
Although the USA seems to be the primary target for hate Israeli flags have been burned also. The BBC has reported that:
- About 3,000 protesters burned US and Israeli flags in the southern Philippines city of Marawi
- In Yemen, hundreds of students in the capital, Sanaa, called for the expulsion of the US ambassador, said AFP
- In Indonesia's capital, Jakarta, hundreds of protesters faced off with police, throwing stones and petrol bombs, while police retaliated with tear gas
- More protests were reported in Srinagar, Indian-administered Kashmir
- Hundreds of Palestinians staged a peaceful sit-in protest in Ramallah, according to AFP
- Angry demonstrators in the Afghan capital, Kabul, fired guns, torched police cars and shouted anti-US slogans
An influential Shia Muslim leader, Sheikh Nasrallah, has called for a week of protests and the arrest plus prosecution of the filmmakers.