UK authorities are working hard to keep the UK free from terrorist attacks. 2012 has been a busy time in the UK, what with the Diamond Jubilee and the forthcoming Olympics. Undercover officers and a huge security operation will ensure the safety of UK citizens and tourists during the busy time to come. This week anti-terror arrests have taken place, which of course means that the UK like all Western countries is under constant threat.
During the early hours of today, Saturday July 7, 2012, a 22-year-old woman was arrested at a house in Hackney, London, as part of the ongoing counter-terrorism operation. The official line is that she is "being held on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism."
This is not the first arrest this week. Earlier in the week six people were arrested as part of the same operation. Whilst officials maintained that those arrests were not linked to the Olympics they obviously raise safety concerns.
The six earlier arrests were all made in London and the individuals aged between 18 and 30. Three of the men are brothers, one even working as a community police officer in London in the past. Police have stated that he did not have direct connection with "sensitive information and the like", but he may still have information useful to a terrorist group.
As yet though there have been no formal charges made. Police investigating have until July 12 to formally charge those arrested or release them. Searches of related homes and one business in London have taken place.
The six are said to be part of an extremist Muslim group. Muslim convert Richard Dart, now called Salahuddin al Britani, was amongst the arrests. He posted a youtube video criticising the British Royal Family and Western involvement in conflicts in Muslim countries. That though means nothing. Similar views could be shared by many in the UK.
The Metropolitan Police continue to maintain that the arrests are not related to the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics. The West is, as we already stated, under constant threat.
Tags: counter terrorism arrests in UK, UK anti terror arrests, terrorism in UK, Metropolitan police, Olympics 2012, paralympics
As this UK writer readied herself for work this morning she glimpsed the early morning TV news. It showed Dale Farm in Essex, in the UK, which has been the scene of much controversy of late.It seems that today Dale Farm had reached its D Day. Having fought long and hard to remain on the site the residents were facing eviction. Although the travellers campsite was legal the growth of the campsite onto illegal areas has caused the current problems. Many of the families have lived there ten years and some have built permanent residencies. As is so often the case it is easy to see both sides.One thing was for sure this morning and that was that it looked a little scary. Imagining young children caught up in today's events was worrying.
It was a little before 7 am on Wednesday, October 19, 2011, as events unfolded on our TV screens. The eviction was scheduled for 8 am and this was the last ditch talking. The bailiffs had come prepared and looked more like the small contingent of riot squad police who accompanied them. In the end the talking at the front gates proved to be a distraction for a forced rear entry.
The police presence was said to be "just in case" things got out of hand. The bailiffs were to carry out the job in hand and only utilise the police if necessary. Inside the camp the residents were making last ditch efforts to protect what was theirs and maintain Dale Farm. It was a losing battle.
It has been reported that bricks and other debris was thrown at police even before the baliffs moved in. Two people were Tasered and three others arrested early today. A fence was broken down and entry forced at 7am, one hour earlier than scheduled. This provoked an angry respone for Dale Farm residents.
As usual both sides have their own slant on the day's events.
The police claim that reports of stockpiles of potentially dangerous items had prompted their early and heavy response. The travellers claim that unnecessary inuries and violence occurred. A police official said, "Our objective was to secure the site and make it safe so that clearances could begin. An inquiry will be carried out later in to any reports of use of excessive force."
Amidst all the claims and counter claims the site is continuing to be cleared. More arrests and injuries have followed.
A female resident told the media, "This is being led by the police, there is no sign of bailiffs." Another said, "The memory of Dale Farm will weigh heavily on Britain for generations - we are being dragged out of the only homes we have in this world. Our entire community is being ripped apart by Basildon Council and the politicians in government."