Nelson Mandela, 95, remains in fragile health following a series of health scares during 2013. TEK earlier reported he remained ill and unable to speak. News that his grandson is facing criminal charges will add to family woes.
Sunday Luxolo Tyali, a spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority in South Africa, told Reuters. "The NPA has decided to prosecute him and summons have been issued."
Few details have been released at this time. It is known that Mandla Mandela is facing an assault charge and a second charge in relation to pointing a weapon.
Mandla Mandela has been making headline news in 2013 for all the wrong reasons.
Reuters reported earlier this year: "A judge ordered him [Mandla] to return the remains of three of Nelson Mandela's children - including those of his father - from a memorial center dedicated to his grandfather where he had moved them two years ago". Mandla claimed that as head of the family he was within his rights to move the remains and bury them on his property.
In October he was accused of "pointing a gun at another man during an argument" but police did not charge him. No other details were released. Two months later the prosecution has decided to charge Mandla.
Sunday MSN News reported "South Africa's Sunday Times newspaper said the younger Mandela was reported to have drawn a gun on a 44-year-old teacher whose vehicle had collided with one driven by a guest of Mandla Mandela's".
Later the victim, Mlami Ngudle, needed surgery to remove a blood clot on the brain. Mandla Mandela has called the charges "fabrication" and denies they happened.
Mandla has vowed to be in court to defend himself.