On February 1, 2012, a football stadium in Port Said, Egypt, turned into a bloodbath. Violent scenes erupted and gun shots rang out.74 people were killed and around 1,000 injured. Today, as the BBC reports, 21 men involved in the violence have been sentenced to death.
The men's fate now lies in the hands of religious leaders. 21 names who had been "referred to the Mufti", were read out by the judge. The words used to denote a death sentence. All such sentences must be reviewed by Egypt's top religious authority.
73 men in total are accused of murders. The others will not know their fate until March 9. The court will announce their sentences at that time.
TEK reported in February 2012
Supporters of the accused clashed with police in Port Said, once the death sentences were announced. Eight people were killed as the violence escalated.
Violent clashes have been experienced by Egyptians this week, as the two-year anniversay of the Arab Spring uprising is about to be celebrated. The 'revolution' may be over but the civil unrest continues. 'At least six people, including a 14-year-old boy, were killed in the northern city of Suez, where protesters set ablaze a building that once housed the city's local government'.
Thousands of protesters took to the streets Friday. There are reports of death and casualties.