Rumours were widely spread and filled the Internet.
Today's news however is only the conclusion of experts and the search to find any remnants of the plane and bodies of those on board will continue.
The Malaysian Prime Minister, Najib Razak, addressed a packed news conference at 2p.m. G.M.T. with the latest news update.
He informed the media that analysis of satellite data now points irrefutably to the plane crashing into the Indian Ocean. If that did happen many questions remain such as, why was the flight so off-course, what happened on board the flight, did the plane's equipment malfunction and were terrorists involved? And there are many more questions which will need answering.
Najib Razak had taken the time and care to dress formally, in a smart, black suit, for the press conference. His sombre appearance indicated that the news would be bad. Relatives of those on board had clung to the hope that their loved ones would be found alive.
And in what is seen as an insensitive way the loved ones received text messages that their hopes had been dashed.
Malaysia Airlines has been posting updates on its website and toady it carried the news that was told to the world at the press conference. It said:
Monday, March 24, 10:15 PM MYT +0800 Malaysia Airlines MH370 Flight Incident - Media Statement 23 Note: The communication below was shared with the family members of passengers and crew of MH370
Various objects have now been spotted in the Ocean. They still have to be reached and identified.
Conspiracy theorists may not believe this latest news. The relatives of those on board the missing plane are now officially in mourning.