Remember Men at Work singing Down Under, about Australia? Well Australia is about to break one of its own records, its population. Funny how these days national statistics can be accurately counted and predicted. The Australian Bureau of Statistics has announced that on April 23, at 9.57pm (AEST), the population of Oz will reach 23 million.
The bureau has said that there is only a 40% chance that number 23,000,000 will be Australia grown. Migrants make up 60% of the population increase in Oz with UK arrivals accounting for 1 in 5. News AU reports "Australia's population is increasing by 1048 people per day, or by 1.7 per cent a year, which equates to one new Canberra or three new Darwins per year" A rapid increase then. The fastest growing area of Australia is the west.
Pundits predict that by the late 2050s the population will be at least 40 million. There are also predictions that a much higher population in Australia will be accompanied by negative global warming effects and a decline in oil porduction. It does not paint a rosy picture of Oz in the future.
Demograhics of Australia