Early today there were reports that a family of four in Leeds had been found dead.
The couple, Richard and Clair Smith, aged 37 and 36, were found dead at their home. Their two children Ben, nine, and one-year-old Aaron were found dead also. Initially it was thought that the family could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Sadly at this time of year that is not an unknown occurrence.
There were also fears that a dangerous chemical could have been the cause of the deaths leading to caution by the emergency services.
_Emergency services had been called to the property after being alerted by family members. Police were some time before it was deemed safe enough to access the property and then the truth of the matter was revealed.
In the end all of the bodies were found in an upstairs room which had been damaged by fire. There are reports that police now believe that it was a case of muder, before the person killed themselves. They have also revealed that they are not looking for any suspect.
The police officer leading the investigation said,"Initially we had concerns regarding the release of harmful chemicals or gases. "Following testing, we no longer have any concerns with regards to those working at the scene and we will continue our investigations today."
On the face of it then, it appears to be yet another sad case of a family for one reason or another torn apart. RIP
UPDATE: The latest news is that Clair Smith and her two boys sustained stab wounds, from which they died. It appears that her husband attacked them. He died from smoke inhalation
Eileen Kersey manages TEK Staff Blog